Mindfulness-Based Queer Resilience (MBQR) Program
Welcome! Thank you for your interest in our research study, Mindfulness-Based Queer Resilience (MBQR), here at Brown University!
Enrollment for the Fall 2022 course has closed.
Click BELOW to see if you qualify for the study and to indicate your interest in future sessions
What is this study about?
This study aims to pilot an internet-delivered mindfulness-based intervention to address minority stress and promote mental and sexual health among young adult gay, bisexual, and queer men. For more information about the study intervention click HERE or read below.
What would my study involvement entail?
What is MBQR about?
“Mindfulness-Based Queer Resilience (MBQR)” is a group-based, LGBTQ affirmative mindfulness program. It will take place online over a 10-week period (including a 1 week orientation followed by 8 weeks of class as well as an all-day mindfulness retreat scheduled around week 5-6 of the program). It will take place online over a 10-week period via Zoom and will be free to qualified participants. Class will meet once a week for up to 2.5 hours, during which time, participants will receive free training in meditation, mindful movements, and in directing mindfulness-based skills towards enhancing things like stress recovery, sleep, resilience, cognitive performance and social relationships. The practice will be tailored to LGBTQ people and discussion will also focus on how to best apply mindfulness in queer life in order to facilitate self-love and self-acceptance, build queer resilience, improve sex positivity and sexual well-being, build healthy, authentic relationships. This program is developed by queer researchers and teachers with input from the LGBTQ community. Similar programs offered in the community are valued at $500.
UPCOMING Classes will be held online on Thursdays (time TBD) starting 9/8/22 and ending 11/10/22.
- $15 for completing the baseline survey
- $5 for each weekly assessment (9 x $5 each = $45 total)
- $40 for completing the post-intervention survey
- $40 for participating in the Zoom exit-interview.
We estimate the total study involvement to be up to 35.0 hours over the course of 10-12 weeks. This consists of:
- Confidential online screening assessment that takes 5-10 minutes to complete
- Zoom screening interview that will take 15 to 25 minutes.
- Baseline online research assessment (40 minutes).
- Online mindfulness class orientation.
- Mindfulness classes (2.5 hours per week for 9 weeks + a 6 hour all-day retreat – all take place online).
- Weekly assessments (10 minutes x 9 weeks).
- Post-intervention survey (40 minutes).
- 90-minute to two-hour exit interview conducted over zoom after the intervention is complete.